[PLACE] 20141222 Moxingling 摩星岭 @ Baiyun, Guangzhou


Moxingling 摩星岭 or the Moxing Summit is the highest peak at the Baiyun Mountain Range. Standing at 382 meters (1,253 ft) above sea level, the peak is able to provide you an almost 360° view of Guangzhou City.

The peak is part of the whole Baiyun Mountain Tourist Attraction Area and to read more about Baiyun Mountain, please visit my previous post about Baiyun Mountain.

To reach the Moxing Summit entrance, you are required to either drive your way up, or to climb your way up just like I did, or you may choose to take the electric car shuttle with fee chargeable depending on your package. It cost another RMB5 for admission into Moxingling area.

Guangyuan Middle Rd, Baiyun, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
广州市白云区广园中路
Nearest Metro Stations: Nil
Telephone: +86 020 3722 2222
Opening Hours: 06:00am until 05:00pm (to be verified)

TO GO


Disclaimer: Google services are barred in China. You need to either bypass the "Great Wall" or use a VPN. Alternatively, you may use their domestic sites such as Baidu Map.

Just follow the normal way to Baiyun Mountain and then hike your way up or take the electric car shuttle service to reach the Moxingling entrance.




ATTRACTION



This is a continuation post from my previous post about Baiyun Mountain. I was hiking my way up for about 30 minutes from the Baiyun Sqaure, thinking that I have finally reached the peak of Baiyun Mountain after seeing the signboard of Moxingling.

Little that I know that this is just the beginning for another never ending climb. Even though 382 meters might not sound that tall compared to the other famous mountains in China (for comparison sake, Mount Kinabalu is 4,095 meters). It still seemed like a never ending climb with people around me started to pant a lot and complaining (except for those who took the easy way up).


A short climb along the slope after the entrance is a small square with a Buddha statue on the left and a wishing tree on the right, covered with red ribbons, each carrying a wish from its visitors. There's also some booth selling souvenirs and a photograph booth trying to sell you your own portrait.


The wishing tree with the red ribbons gives a very unique picture especially with the cool breeze. The above picture is taken with an ultra wide angle lens, else won't be able to fit the whole tree.


Local tourist who got persuaded by the photo booth to have his portrait with the Moxing Summit stone arch. As soon as I saw the stairs, I had a bad feeling that the climb will continue. Since I have came a long way from the bottom, might as well complete the whole journey to the peak!


As I climb up the hill, I stumble upon this very special angle of this stone hut with the city background. I used the 50mm to compress and to bring forward the background to show the contrast between the nature and the civilisation, as well as the old and the new.


Not long after I reach the stone arch of the Moxingling, I was wondering. Is this it? Is this the peak? But there's more stairs behind! No, it isn't. It's just another arch out of no where, to confuse you more.


Further up I reach another spot which gives a very good frame, touch up by the branches. Moxingling provides way more photographic spots compared to the lower grounds.


Continue climbing, I reach another platform where a small eatery is located. I spotted a radio tower behind the eatery and common sense tells me that the top is near.


Continue climbing, again. Finally I saw the blue blue sky and the end of the stairs! Yes, it's the peak of Moxingling finally.


At the peak, there's this area for people to attach padlocks, same as any other tourist spots around the world (meh!) to signify long lasting love relationships. However, there's no lock vendor noticed around, so I guess you need to bring your own padlocks next time.


The Moxingling arch, stating the 382 meters above sea level, and the distance away from Beijing (the capital of China).


From here, you get an unobstructed view of the East side of Guangzhou city. Too bad there's no signature landmark, otherwise this will be another Victoria Peak in Hong Kong. Hopefully Guangzhou will develop overtime and prosper in future.


I wanted to explore more and started walking downhill towards the North direction (I came from South direction). I saw the Huangpo Reservoir from afar and tried to gauge how long more I need to walk before I reach the next destination.

However, after considering the time constraint and my stamina, I aborted my mission and started to head back. Oh my, there goes another 30 minutes hike downhill!

SUMMARY


Moxingling is definitely worth the time and energy to visit if you are at Baiyun Mountain. In my opinion, it offers much more than the more touristy Baiyun Mountain. If you have the time and stamina to spare, do plan and explore the whole mountain range if you are nature lover.

Attraction
very scenic view.
Cleanliness

Entrance Fee
RMB5
Opening Hours
06:00am until 05:00pm (to be verified)
Wifi
N/A
Parking
Yes
Website
N/A

GPS: 23.182887, 113.301674

farscope

Malaysian lad, engineer by background, banker by profession whom passionate in photography, food and travelling.

0 comments: